Galway City Community Network is thrilled to be involved in the organisation of Loving Galway: Celebrating our Green and Blue Spaces – Galway’s first Festival of Sustainability. The festival will take place from September 20th to 30th and the programme is packed with an exciting range of events and activities.
While it is difficult to pick out highlights from this very exciting programme, of particular interest to GCCN members might be the following:
Loving Galway – Ideas for A Beautiful Planet
Time: 11.30-15.00 Venue: O’Donohue Theatre and Foyer, NUI Galway
Sunday 23rd September 2018
The flagship event, Loving Galway – Ideas for A Beautiful Planet will see expert speakers sharing their thoughts and inspirations. Speakers include:
- Prof. John Sweeney (Maynooth University),
- Duncan Stewart (environmental and sustainability Producer and Presenter),
- Janice Fuller (Consultant Ecologist) and
- Hans Visser (Biodiversity Officer, Fingal County Council).
The event will be facilitated by NEAR Health Team, Dr Caitriona Carlin, Dr Easkey Britton and Dr Gesche Kindermann, and will be opened by Mayor of Galway City, Cllr Níall McNelis.
Local environmental groups including Transition Galway, Galway Butterfly Project, Galway Bat Group and Friends of Merlin Woods will host displays, with an opportunity to learn more about their work. Brothers of Charity designers will display their fantastic Junk Couture Project, made from recycled materials. Tea and coffee served on arrival, and light lunch served over networking.
This is a free, public event, but due to space restrictions, registration is required.
Your City, Your Say: Be Part of It
Time: 1.30-20.00 Venue: PorterShed
Saturday 29th September 2018
The inaugural event of the Galway Environmental Network, Your City, Your Say: Be Part Of It will highlight planning issues in the city of Galway and promote the concept of participatory planning. The day will balance talks from local and international experts with public participation and contributions from the floor. It will include an opportunity to experience a hands-on participatory planning session to identify principles that should underpin planning in Galway.
Keynote speakers include:
- Angela Brady, partner Brady Mallieu, Past President of the RIBA, presenter of Designing Ireland and author of The Cork Papers
- Diarmaid Lawlor, Director of Place, Architecture and Design Scotland
- Frank Monahan, Architecture on the Edge
- Professor Kevin Leyden, Joint Director, Creative, Liveable and Sustainable Communities Research Cluster Leader, Whitaker Institute
- John Gibney, Director of Physical Resources, NUI Galway
- Prof Ulf Strohmayer, of Geography, NUI Galway
- Rosie Webb, Senior Architect in Economic Development at Limerick City and County Council
The Mayor of Galway, Councillor Níall McNeillis will officially open the event.
Refreshments include tea/coffee & a potluck tea and following the Green Gathering tips please bring your own cutlery, plate and cup if possible.
The event is free of charge but registration is essential.