As part of the reform of Local Government Act 2014, local authorities are required to establish Public Participation Networks in each local authority area. Galway City Community Network (GCCN) is the Public Participation Network for Galway City.
To qualify for PPN membership you must have/be the following:
- Be active in Galway City
- Have more than five (5) members
- Have a written Constitution or Memorandum & Articles of Association (if applying organisations are companies limited by guarantee, they should be not for profit)
- Be open to new members, if a membership-based organisation, or be open to new board members as appropriate. To facilitate inclusion, please ensure that a contact email address for the group/organisation is available to new and potential members
- Be non-party political and non-sectarian
- Be broadly representative and accountable
- Hold an AGM and regular meetings
- Be independent, with a committee or board (not a substructure or subcommittee)
- Be a minimum of six months in existence
- If a company limited by guarantee, the organisation must be not for profit
- Groups must be able to establish their bona fides as a community, voluntary or environmental organisation
- Groups/organisations registering under the Environment Electoral College must be validated by the Environmental Pillar at a national level. Check the criteria for the Environmental Electoral College Criteria Update 2020 – here
Please note groups formed around specific local issues are not eligible for PPN membership, for example, groups formed around opposition to a particular local planning application.
When you join, you will have to select an Electoral College. There are three electoral colleges for the PPN:
• Social Inclusion
To join the Social Inclusion Electoral College an organisation’s primary objectives and activities must focus on social inclusion/social justice/equality.
To join the Environment Electoral College an organisation’s primary objectives and activities must be environmental (i.e. ecological) protection and/or environmental sustainability. Membership of this Electoral College will be validated by the Environmental Pillar at a national level. For more information on this please click here
Organisations whose primary objectives are other than those listed above will be members of the Community/Voluntary Electoral College.
In the event of a dispute regarding eligibility, GCCN will determine eligibility for affiliation.
For more information contact the GCCN Co-ordinator at email@example.com