Galway City Community Network is the Public Participation Network for Galway City.
The GCCN Plenary brings together the entire membership of the network four times a year. The Plenary meeting is the main decision making body of the network. The role of the Plenary is to:
- Agree the three year GCCN Strategy (2016-2019);
- Receive reports from the GCCN staff on the implementation of the strategy;
- Receive reports from GCCN’s representatives on decision making structures in Galway City;
- Agree or amend GCCN policies & positions;
- Elect the members of the Secretariat;
- Ratify GCCN representatives to committees/boards who have been nominated by members through the appropriate Linkage Group;
- Consider motions from any GCCN member.
The GCCN Secretariat is comprised of up to 16 GCCN members who meet monthly on a voluntary basis to manage and co-ordinate the network. They are responsible for ensuring that the aims, objectives of GCCN are implemented. The Secretariat is elected by the Plenary membership at the Annual General Meeting when there is a turnover of at least one-third of the group. The role of the GCCN Secretariat is to:
- Approve the annual work-plan for the implementation of the GCCN Strategy;
- Receive reports from the GCCN staff on the implementation of the work-plan;
- Consider new applications for membership of the network;
- Co-ordinate activities of the Linkage Groups as appropriate;
- Act as a support to representatives and facilitate information sharing;
- Facilitate the evaluation of GCCN activities.
See the current GCCN Secretariat Members – here.
The primary role of GCCN is to support the participation and representation of social inclusion, community & voluntary and environmental groups in the decision making structures and processes in Galway City. Our members are represented on a variety of structures, such as the Local Community Development Committee, Galway City Council’s Strategic Policy Committees and the Joint Policing Committee. GCCN representatives are drawn from our members, nominated by the GCCN Linkage Groups and ratified by the GCCN Plenary.
See the current GCCN Representatives – here.
Linkage Groups are sub-groups of GCCN that meet on a thematic basis to discuss key policy areas & issues. GCCN has six Linkage Groups, which are open to all members as well as non-members. The role of the Linkage Groups is to:
- Progress the actions to be undertaken in each thematic area to advance GCCN’s policies & positions;
- Develop GCCN’s submissions to public consultations;
- Receive reports & consider issues from GCCN’s representatives to decision making bodies in Galway City;
- Offer guidance to GCCN’s representatives’ and agree common positions as required;
- Nominate representatives to decision making bodies relevant to the thematic area.
In undertaking this work each Linkage Group is guided by the GCCN policies and positions which are agreed collectively by the members of the network at the GCCN Plenary. Representatives nominated by a Linkage Group are formally ratified at the next meeting of the GCCN Plenary.